Thursday, December 19, 2013

Nineteen

Bad Behavior.

This is a three beer entry. so if things are misspelled or the grammer ain't quite right then you need to just get over it. Crusty ER Tech and his other cohorts have been taking it in the giblets as of late and I gotta tell ya it's like every other holiday season.

Today's story is titled

"I tell you to jump you should ask 'How High?' are you clear on that?!"

No shit said by a nurse to one of my fellow techs in front of a waiting room full of patients who have been waiting at least 8-10 hrs to go back to get care. One thing I learned long ago was 'Praise in public and counsel (discipline) in private.' Another words pat someone one the back in front of folks and if they fuck up ream them a new one behind closed doors. Granted sometimes a fuck up is so heinous you deserve a reaming in public but those are truly few and far between. But when you get reamed for doing what you are told and then ordered to see the charge nurse in front of 50 plus waiting patients.

The story is unimportant it really is but I will say after talking to a couple of folks that the tech did what they were suppose to do and only got mouthy after the nurse tried to peel her a new one in front of folks.

Unfortunately in this ER this behavior is not new. The Crusty one recently got reamed for bringing a patient to another area of this large ER without report even though the sending nurse PROMISED and PINKY SWORE she called report. What did the crusty ER tech get told right in front of the patient?

"This is ridiculous" Let's take a moment and note that this nurse who got a case of the premature ass that she only had ONE patient in her area at the time while the rest of the ED was getting killed with a waiting time of 10+ hrs for some patients and was on every sort of divert imaginable yet still receiving patients. I was also told I was "stupid" and lacked "common sense" by this same receiving nurse all in front of the patient.

I'm pissed yet I don't fight back I have learned that much over the years. I go back and tell the charge nurse, I do this because I think the nurse is going to be a cunt to the patient out of spite. Sure it feels good to tell an uppity ass of a nurse to fuck off but really in the end it just does not help the patient in the end. Let the charge nurse handle it, if you're lucky they'll give a shit. If she's gonna ream a tech for bringing over a patient then hey it's not beneath her to be an unmasked bitch to a sick patient.

Funny thing was I was doing a favor for the sending nurse.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I've been told the situation got straightened out but as far as I know the patient never got an apology. As for my tech friend the situation is unresolved cause they got lippy today my feeling is that everyone will get a solid hand slap out of this episode.

It goes to confirm what I already knew about the holiday season it brings out the worst in people. If you are reading this take a moment and be nice to one of your fellow staff members especially the lowly ER tech. We got a job to do as well and although we are glorified and over qualified ass wipers we're right there in the trenches with you. Be a little respectful would ya? Santa is watching for christ sakes!




No comments:

Post a Comment