Monday, May 13, 2013

Number Five

Some days it’s worth going into the job.

The pay check is small, the hours are often terrible and long, often it’s a thankless hard job. No shit, huh? Since I started school, changed shifts and went to a PRN schedule things have changed. Many of the familiar faces and friends I have at work have left and moved on. The other day we were going through “skills check off” out of the many people there I only knew 3 people out of over 40 staff there that day. We’ve turned over that much in recent months.  Morale in the department is in the shitter.

I’m not going to discuss that though that will be on some other entry. I’m talking about a small reward. It was from an x-ray tech. She’s been at this large trauma center hospital for a very long time, much longer than me. We work opposite shifts now I pulled nights for a long time most of my career in fact, now I’m on days. She sees me walking past one of our fancy trauma rooms and she’s doing some sort of post-reduction films on a patient. She immediately drops her pickle switch and comes charging out of the room, gives me a HUGE hug. Saying “Thank you Jesus, thank you lord, there are still good people left here!”  She held me so tight and so long that I thought I was going to be late clocking in. I was terribly embarrassed by this spectacle. Really though I was tremendously happy with it for the first time in recent memory I felt appreciated and respected.  It made a long day better.

For that I am thankful. Some days it’s worth going to the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment