Sunday, June 2, 2013

Number Seven

Something I said stuck.

I had a shift recently where a fairly new nurse told me something I said once stuck. It was about working in an emergency department and continually getting the worst assignments. She told me one shift that she thought it was not "Fair or right" that she got stuck in a crap assignment and that she "deserved" to be in a better assignment so she could learn more.

She's been a nurse for about 18 months now, all at this particular large urban ED.

I told her that fair, right or deserve has nothing to do with it. I told her that even the most experienced people get the shit end of the stick, that's the way it is. Trust me I know. I myself just hope one day to be out of this dead end tech job and move onto something better once I get my nursing degree.

Remember folks you can have a shit ton of experience, education be the smartest person on shift but if for some reason the supervisors wanna shit on you because they don't know or like you there is little you can do. Suck it up and do your job as best you can.

To quote William Munny from "Unforgiven"

"Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

It's so very true in the ER whether you are the victim of an accident or the tech doing your 7-8th code brown of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment